Sunday, June 17, 2007

Rec-Plex Triathlon

To those of you who are interested,

I started swimming on swim team at approximately age 4 and I was good enough to swim in high school. I never really made it to state, except as a participant in a free relay. I was not good enough for college swimming (or at least I was not interested) and I have continued to swim off and on just for fun. As far as biking goes, I enjoyed riding my mtn bike on trails and paths since 1993 and was happy with that until Roark drafted me for his MS Bike Tour team. Since then (approximatley three years) I have been road biking and doing what I thought was some serious training. I have never been a good runner. Despite that, I managed to finish the New York City Marathon in November of 1998 in just over 6 hours and have participated in two half marathons (none recently) since then.

As far as the triathlon goes, I expected to do ok on the swimming, excell in the biking and do poorly with the run (especially taking into consideration that I tore some ligaments in my right ankle a couple of weeks ago).

My results were a bit surprising to me. In my age group (49 men aged 35 to 39 years), I finished the 500 meter swim (breast stroke) 27th with a time of 10 min and 45 seconds. I finished 45th (out of 49!) (a real surprise!!!!) with a time of 1:14:33 on the 21 mile bike ride despite an average speed of 18.1. The run (there was a lot of walking in there) took me 55:59 (an 11:40 min per mile pace) and put me in 48th palce. In my age group I placed 48 out of 49 and overall 289 out of 373.

I think I will try again in the fall.

Regards,
Brian

3 comments:

Roark said...

Brian,

I don't know if your surprised in a good or a bad way, but you certainly should be proud of the accomplishment! Some of us are too chicken.....CLUCK>>>>CLUCK!!

Mark said...

I did not run, swim or ride a bike in high school. I was on the all American smoking team and was damn good at it.

As I got older I started riding and since have included a little running and swimming.

I came in 338 and was not last. My swimming time was 14.22, 30 second better than 2005. Biking was 1:08.28 (My GPS) which was 10:20 faster than 2 years ago, and the running or walking, very little running was 1:03.49, much slower than 2 years ago. The recplex shows my biking time at 1:23 and that is incorrect.
The next one is in Sept so get ready.

hillclimber said...

You guys both did awesome. If I tried a tri any time soon I would either drown or break both legs running and never finish.

I hope some day to try one of these just for the experience of doing so. I can manage the swimming with some training, but I'd have to really figure out the running. I don't really enjoy running, it hurts my knees and shins, and I'm just not that interested in doing it. For me it would probably be speed walking. Or slug jogging.

Mike