Thursday, April 24, 2008

Horsey update and dorm room info

I registered for the Horsey last night. It's a great ride - you all will love it. I'm planning on the 100 mile option Saturday and the 70 mile option on Sunday.

It will take 5-6 hours to get there from Saint Louis (maybe 6.5 from W. County). Plus there is an hour time change against you going over.

There are dorm rooms at the college where the ride starts. $22 a night Friday or Saturday. $38 for both nights. 2 people to a room, 2 bikes will fit too. Community showers / bath down the hall. Nothing provided - so you bring your own linens and towels. I did not register for this yet, but would maybe consider.

I'd probably rather go the hotel option. Last year I stayed in Louisville on Friday night. That made it easier to not be driving so late on Friday. East side of Louisville (say about 30 miles past downtown Louisville) to the ride start is less than an hour. I think we can do pretty well with cheap hotels somewhere around there and split them 2 or 3 ways each and do almost as well as the dorms, but more privacy, and a potty right in your room - plus towels and linens right there too. We could do a room East of Louisville Friday night, then a hotel in the Georgetown / Lexington area Saturday night, so we don't have to drive so much after the Saturday ride, or again on Sunday morning. I'll start doing some leg work on hotels in both areas.

Last year on the Saturday I drove over at around 7am, and was registered and on my bike around 8:30 or 8:45. I remember feeling like I was a little late, but not that late. I do think the bulk of the riders get going by 8:00 - so something to consider. But the ride is pretty casual and a very open window for the start, so no big deal if you're off by 30 - 60 minutes.

So I think that is my plan / thoughts. Sunday we should be able to wrap up riding around 1:00 or 2:00. We get the hour back coming home - so the drive back is pretty easy. We should be able to be back in Saint Louis before dark. That will give you plenty of time for some rest, so you can go to the Trailnet Pizza Ride on Monday.

Mike

4 comments:

hillclimber said...

I don't know if any of these have rooms available, but here's some info on Days Inns in the area:

Days Inn Shelbyville, KY - $55 - 45 miles from start. This is only about 25 miles past Louisville and is really a suburb of Louisville. We should be able to make this Friday night without being too wiped out.

Days Inn Frankfort - $63.00 - 22 miles from start. This might be a good place if we want one place for Friday and Saturday. It's about 45 miles past Louisville, so we should still be able to make this Friday night without being too beat. Then it is an easy drive to the start too.

Days Inn Georgetown - $62. I'd bet this is booked - it is at the start. It may be an option for Saturday night though - thinking maybe it's not booked up both nights.

My vote would be for Frankfort both nights - but I'm open. I don't know what there is to do or eat in Frankfort for Saturday night but I'm sure there is something - it is the state capital. Or it's only about 30 - 40 miles from Louisville, so we could drive back if we need to.

I have relatives in Louisville too, plus my son lives in Lexington - we might could meet some of them for dinner as well if it works out.

Mike

Mark said...

Mike, the hotel option sounds good to me and the Frankfort option works for me. I think Roark, John, me and Nancy and you have registered for the ride. I would need a room for me and Nancy.
What time do you think we would headout of town? Nancy is good to go after 2:00 PM and I can probably leave anytime after 2:00. If you book a room book one for me too and I'll settle with you.

Roark said...

I will go with whatever the group decides. My only requirement is I get at least half a bed.

hillclimber said...

OK - I'm going to work on booking three rooms in Frankfort. We may only need 2 - meaning Mike, Roark and John can split some way. Or if anyone else goes, we'll have another room to work with. More info to follow.

Mike