Thursday, August 23, 2007

Last update

Hello everyone,

The good news is I made it to Paris fine. The bad news is that it is rainy, miserable and I'm writing this e-mail.

I know we have all been tracking Mike and we are all so proud of him. Unfortunately, Mike was forced to abandon the race due to a knee issue outside of Tinteniac today.

I asked him if he wanted me to send out an e-mail but he said he would do it when he arrived back at the hotel. Unfortunately, it looks like it will be tomorrow before he returns because of logistics and I just couldn't keep everybody wondering any longer. Besides if he knew how we have all been glued to the computer screen he'd understand as well. So, I hope he will understand me writing this e-mail and I know you will await his official e-mail later.

He is safe and dry which is so important and he truly gave it his best shot. Others are trickling into the hotel-some completing it and some abandoning as well. One man said he rode 54 out of 62 miles in the rain and he heard this is the worst weather since 1963. I haven't seen Tom's e-mail pictures yet but believe me when I say they are all returning weathered and beat up from the ride.

Just wanted to say thanks for all your support and it's been fun tracking him together.

Thanks again, and with a new respect for Mike and all PBP riders,

Lynda Brady

4 comments:

Roark said...

Mike & Lynda;

Enjoy the accomplishment for how far Mike got. It's an incredible effort. Now, recover relax and enjoy France.

Roark

Bill D. said...

My first attempt to add a comment apparently went into the abyss.

A hugely impressive accomplishment, Mike! I'm very proud of you my friend and hope your knee is O.K.

From the pics and videos I was able to see it looked really tough at best. Everybody looked exhausted. Nasty weather!

I'm sure you have some great stories. Tell us all about it at your leisure. In the meantime, I second Roark's comments. Recover, relax and both of you enjoy the rest of your trip!

See ya back on this side of the pond!

Greg said...

Mike,
Sorry about your knee. I know you are probably really bummed out, but I hope you can think about what you have accomplished. It's incredible to just qualify for a randonneuring event and then to go as far as you went in the weather conditions and in pain. You should be very proud, I know everyone here is. Looking forward to hear about the ride and your trip.
Hopefully you and Lynda can enjoy the rest of your vacation.

Ron said...

Mike, I guess you've had a lot of time to think about the ride...don't be to bummed out, you accomplished a lot and we're real proud of you.
I've got to hand it to you...when you say your going to do something...you do it.
You and Linda have a great vacation...I can't wait to hear all the stories.

Ron