Saturday, February 02, 2008

Ride Sunday Feb 3 - maybe?

Hello all,

I am still hoping to ride Sunday. But it does look a little iffy. I'm not too worried about the temp, or the slushy roads, just not too sure about the wet, or even the chance of rain in the afternoon. I'm thinking it will be a bit messy, but not too dangerous if we try what I've outlined below. I am dying to ride, so I'm going to get out. I don't think the route Roark and I rode last week will work though. Probably a bit too busy / messy / wet.

Anyone want to try this:

I'm thinking if we do want to get a ride in we might want to center it around Forest Park. I'm sure the streets in the park are pretty clear, and there is usually not too much traffic in the park, so it should be a bit safer. We can use the roads or the trails for some of the ride if the trails are clear. I don't know for sure, but I'm betting they sweep the trails in the Park, or maybe today's sun cleaned them up. Anyway, I'm thinking maybe we could try and meet at Kayak's coffee (on the Northwest corner of the park) and then wing it riding around the park. We could then see if we want to venture East into the city and see what comes of it. I'm thinking we can get some riding in. The streets in my neighborhood are "clear" in the main lane (the whole lane, not just the tire swips), just slushy on the very edge, and of course wet and puddly. I'm going to go ahead and give it a shot. With a little luck we can get in 10-15 miles in the park, and maybe another 10-15 around the city, maybe on the Riverfront trail, or south down Broadway, whatever. Worst case we run around the park for awhile. The park does have at least a few hills if we work them in a few times it would still be a good workout.

Meet at Kayak's at 10:30 - rolling at 10:45. If you want to nurse coffee or have breakfast, you need to arrive earlier. I figure a little later start may be good for the temp, and maybe a bit more melting of snow.

I'm planning on riding to Kayak's from my house. And probably even go back with the group, and then work my way back to my house for hopefully a decent amount of riding.

If things look like total crap at 9:00 when I'm more or less getting out the door, I'll post an update to the blog. No update - then I'm out there riding to Kayak's.

Mike
314-239-6229

3 comments:

Roark said...

I will be spinning as my backup from 8:15 to 9:15. I will give Mike a call around 9:30 to see if its really ridable. ( hint of doubt here ), If so I will grab my bike and try to be ridable out of Kayaks by 10:30 am, but realistically figure 10:45.

hillclimber said...

Lynda and I went to the Obama rally tonight. "Snow routes" seem to be fairly clear (like Russell, Grand, Broadway, 4th, Jefferson, Gravois, Choeteau, etc. - we were on all tonight). But other routes like the ones that cross Russell are pretty icy.

I think I'll start the day and go Russell to Grand, and over to SLU. Then maybe Lindel to the park. I think all that will work out. Then I'll see what the park looks like.

Look for another update in the AM.

Mike

hillclimber said...

I'm pretty torn here. It's sunny, which is great, and I know Russell looks fair enough, but it is a bit cool, and I think the patchy ice is probably too much. I want to be OUTSIDE!, but I guess I don't want too be stupid.

So I think I'll go with Roark's idea of spinning, and then maybe walk the dog for my outside time!

Long range forecast for next weekend is calling for more snow, so not too promising there either. I guess we'll keep our fingers crossed.

I'm a no-go for Wednesday night again. Friday afternoon looks promising if my work doesn't get in the way. Roark, if this Friday is your off day, let me know. I'll see if I can knock off work around 3:30 or 4:00 and we can see what might come of it.

Mike