Thursday, January 12, 2006

Start Time For Saturday's Ride

We need a start time for Saturdays ride. Since no one has suggested one, I am, 10 am. The start point is of course my house. We will be heading to the Chain of Rocks Bridge and back. We will either do the out and back option via downtown St. Louis, or loop out back via Bellfontaine neighborhood, using Johns route. If we ride out and back its flat. If we loop though Bellfontaine there will be some hills the last part of the ride. Not to worry I know coffee shops for both route options. Either way, figure about 50 miles.

Roark

PS: Based on Mikes request to find an alternative to the riverfront trail over to the Chain of Rockes Bridge I have consulted Google Earth. The route to follow is from Washington Ave - > N on Leonard K Sullivan -> W on Biddle Street -> N on North 1st Street -> W on North Market Street -> N on North Broadway -> East on East Grand Ave -> North on Hall Street -> East on Riverview Drive -> Down to Chain of Rocks Bridge

PSS: Some Zig - Zagging might be needed, no telling how good the roads are in industrial sections of North St. Louis



.


I thought that I would try to map out our route on Mappoint. I've also included the written version. This is pretty close to the route we took. (Mike and Roark can correct any of my errors.) It shows 47.5 miles. I logged 50.0.....pretty close. I've put it in a 'photo album' so it's on a web site. We may even be able to use this type for upcoming rides since you can print the pictures for the turn by turn directions.

Cheri

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/clopatin/album?.dir=/cf33&.src=ph&.tok=phftBREBKlWstsak


9 comments:

hillclimber said...

This sounds good to me. I'll be at Roark's at 10am. Still watching the weather a bit just in case, but it seems to be looking up.

Brian and Cheri - I'm not sure who is riding this day, but I'll also be planning on riding Sunday as well. Not sure where or when, but thinking about it. I saw a post from another group about riding on Sunday, I'll let you know Friday or Saturday.

Mike

Cheri said...

Sounds great! I'll be at Roark's at 10a.

Mike - I'll let Brian respond about riding Sun with you.

Cheri

Bill D. said...

O.K. This blogging thing is new to me so if I make a few mistakes posting comments, please forgive.

Hope the weather is amicable and you have a great ride or rides this weekend.

hillclimber said...

The riverfront trail is probably going to be muddy / wet, so we may need to plan on getting to the Chain of Rocks Bridge by road. Maybe we will wind up running south instead? I don't care, just don't want to have to clean the whole bike after a ride. Other than Riverview drive I don't really know the roads in North Saint Louis, but I'm sure we could wing it. We could also do john's route out and then wing it going South to the Arch. All in all I don't really care as long as their are a few of us (safety in numbers) and if we do not get our bikes too trashed.

Mike

Roark said...

Reversing the route is fine with me. The trail might have dried some by later in the afternoon. I dont really see it being more muddy then the streets, because both are paved.

Ron said...

I hope John is riding with us or Roarke knows the route...winging it in North St. Louis might not be to smart. The trail could be muddy in a few spots but not bad later.
Roark, you may need to send me that invitation again. I think it expired.
I'll get the hang of this eventually.

Roark said...

ron

your a member and admin...ultimate power..... I know John's route and he most likely will be with us...

Brian said...

Mike / Mark

I think Cheri is riding tomorrow. Cheri teaches spinning from 9 to 11 AM Sunday. I take the Sunday class. I suspect the rest of Sunday will be devoted to family time. If the weather permits, I will ride next weekend.

Brian

Ron said...

I'll take a pass on today's ride...It's way below my forty degree cut-off point.
I'll do my indoor trainer instead. Tomorrow it's family day.
Don't freeze any vital body parts.