Sunday, July 06, 2008

Blue Ridge Countdown Info

Blue Ridge Folks,

Please make sure anyone attached to you and coming on the trip; but not getting the blogger gets a copy of the information that will be flowing in the next few days.

First, the Sag List is Done. It's not perfect, but its an attempt at being fair. You will be getting a copy of sag list before the ride starts. You will need to make sure you pull off close to where indicated if your driving. If your bicycling you must know where you supposed to take your turn. It's your responsibility to take your turn.

Second, we could definately use a cell phone assigned to just the SAG vehicle. If you have a spare cell phone (activated), and can provide the phone, please let me know. It would be great to have just one number to call if you need the SAG vehicle. I would also like someone to volunteer to put together a cell phone list, to be passed out to the group. That way we could all be able to reach each other (except for John who carries no phone). If no one comes up with a cell phone I might rent one for just the week passing the cost along.

Third, please pack in at most two duffels. Think of this as Colorado without the need for a tent. Two bags should be plenty. I also suggest a day pack that you can put into the SAG for quick access to arm warmers, etc. On the Friday we leave this should hopefully be packed with your overnight supplies. At least one of your duffels should be dropped off with your bike Thursday to be packed into the trailer. It will not be available till we reach the Blue Ridge.

Forth, dont forget your bike must be at my house Thursday. I will not wait or repack the trailer if your bike comes with you on Friday. In fact I hope to be able to let the slower trailer and SUV leave ealier if the Lopatins and I can figure something out that works for them. The trailer could be gone, if you show with your bike Friday.

Next, do not expect on returning Sunday to just scoot for home after arrival in St. Louis. I will expect help breaking down the trailer, and returning the Van. If we are early enough even the trailer will be returned. We all will have been gone, and eager to see our loved ones, but no one should have to shoulder the burden of cleaning up from the trip without full participation of the group. PLAN ACCOURDINGLY!

Lastly, if your not working this Friday, I am sure John and I could use your help packing. We start early so let me know your schedules.

Roark

11 comments:

Merckxrider said...

I'm off Friday - just let me know what time you need help.

Are you going to be around Wed. evening around 8 PM? I am riding U. City Wed night ride and can drop my bike off afterwards.
Tom

Roark said...

Tom,

I hope to be riding Wednesday night I. So I will be around. Not sure it will be Paul's ride though, and I go to dinner afterwards. There will probably be a kid home to let you put your bike into the garage if you dont just us for dinner.

We pick up the trailer first thing in the morning Friday. Tentatively you could be over to my house about 9 am.

hillclimber said...

I don't mind giving my phone to SAG all week. I'd be riding without one, but I figure most f the time I'll be pretty clsoe to Tom or Dan or both, so I don't really need a phone if they have theirs. My phone is a company phone (free) so no big deal to get the extra calls during the week.

I do have to work on the Friday, and probably a busy day too. What time are we pulling out Friday? How late are other's working? I'm guessing I can make 3:00 or 4:00, but I'm not sure. But I can probably be flexible and get out earlier if it looks like I'm going to be the last one. If I'm not going to be the last one I'll need to work as much as possible to wrap things up before we get gone.

I can get my bike over to Roark's Wednesday night, or Thursday day. I won't be riding Wednesday night. Maybe Thursday on a different bike, but not sure.

Mike
314-239-6229

hillclimber said...

Can one of my two duffles be a cooler full of ice and beer? Or would a keg and ice be better?

I'll save room for at least one quart of Gatoraid too.

Roark said...

Mike,

First I am hoping that our second load, SUV or Van (tbd) is able to leave my house at 4:40 pm latest. Details are still being worked out.

I prefer everyone who owns a phone, has a phone. Its a safety issue.

I was going to ask if anyone had an ice chest or water cooler for the trip. Otherwise its warm gallon jugs of water.

Roark

Roark said...

Folks,

We still need volunteers for two floor pumps, and a thermal water jug. I think Cheri can provide a spare cell phone from Amanda. Cheri is also providing an ice chest.

Your overnight bag should also include your cycling clothes for the first days ride. We will not unpack the bikes till we arrive at the Blue Ridge Sunday. Your equipment may not be easily accessible till Sunday. Plan accourdingly.

ROark

Mark said...

Dan Bauer, do you have the cell phone numbers for your cousins? I am putting together a list of the numbers.

Please let me know which cell phone will be used as the permanent sag cell phone. It will be the first number on the list of cell phones.

Rich Ochs, what is your cell number?

Anonymous said...

I've got a floor pump we can use. I will drop it off tomorrow when I drop the bike off. I will also give you my cell number at that time. From Rob C. (Dan's Cousin)

Roark said...

Folks,

We have one floor pump from Rob C, we still need one more for the trip. We also still need that insulated water jug, or we will be using warm gallon jugs of water out of the van.

Volunteered:
Mark: Cell Phone List
Dan S:Group Food Coordination
Ron: Trip Documentation (drafted)
John: Trailer Transporation Engineer
Dan B, Dan S, Cheri, Rick: CPR Team Top of Mount Mitchell (drafted)

Cheri said...

I've got the sag cell phone (Amanda's). I also have a cooler that we can put ice in, but I don't have an insulated water jug. I also have a pump, but I don't know that it's the greatest for the trip. Let me know if you need it. Don't have an AED so we'll just have to rely on the old fashioned method.
Thanks.
Cheri

Ron said...

I will bring a floor pump and insulated water jug.

Ron